Friday, February 20, 2009

Smelling Memories

Have you ever smelt something and it immediately makes you remember certain times or places or events in your life. It happens to me all of the time. Just yesterday, I was using some hand lotion that I haven't in awhile. When I smelt it, I immediately thought of Christmas. I realized I did this because I had received the lotion as a Christmas present and used it quite often during that time.

There are certain smells in the barn or involving horses that remind me of things too. The biggest one is probably iodine. When I was younger and we were medicating Maggie's feet every day, we used iodine to clean them out. I can remember that smell on my hands. It was there constantly. Now, everytime I have to use it, I am immediately reminded of that time in my life and it almost makes me sick to my stomach.

Another one is Equicare Flysect Citronella Spray. My very first instructor used this fly spray. Her horses were so well cared for. Everytime I smell it, I am taken back to my first lessons...grooming those big Dutch Warmbloods Patricia and Abita (I can't believe I remember all of their names!) and a cute QH named Fancy, and an old palomino named Ed. Oh, those were the days!

What about you? Do you have any smells that bring back the memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment