Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The S word

Growing up in Lower Alabama, I did not experience many significant snowfalls . We would have a dusting here or there but never anything more. When I moved off to college, I experienced some snowfalls up to about an 1" maybe 2". Now that I'm in East Tennessee, we've been lucky enough to have several this year, none as big as yesterday though when we got almost 3". I'm sure you Northerners are saying, whoop tee doo....3 inches.....but it's a lot for us!


When Southerners get snow, it's always a BIG deal. Our local afternoon country radio personality, "Our Cowboy Pal Gunner" issues a "Light bread and milk alert" and gives us his "horse forecast" when snow is expected in our area.
The "Light bread and milk alert" is issued when snow is forecasted in the South. Everyone panics and runs out to buy milk and bread as soon as the weather guy says the S word.
But according to anyone who survived the blizzard of 93 in Birmingham, Alabama, it's down right necessary because "ya neva know when ya might get snowed in"..................
The "horse forecast" has become one of my favorite East Tennessee traditions! Gunner, the radio guy, has a horse named Prince that hates snow. Therefore, he will get nervous and misbehave when snow is on it's way. So, if the weather guy says the S word, everyone tunes into WIVK to see what Prince has to say....since I've lived here, he has yet to be wrong!

So, I left work early yesterday, excited to get out to the barn. The horses have been cooped up for several days because of the winter weather so I decided to let them out one at a time for 15 minutes each, just to stretch their legs a little and see what they thought about all of the white stuff. Twiggy was first and decided to test out the snow's traction by running from one end of the paddock to the other at a dead gallop and performing perfect sliding stops at each end.



Ronan was next (and he's filthy)....he just wanted to see if he could eat it!


Here are some other pics I snapped while I was out!



Hope you guys have a great day and have fun in the snow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment