Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spring is in the air and summer is banging on the door!

I have been slacking on my blogging lately. I've had a lot of things going on and just haven't had time. Let me give you an update on everything!

We have found a rental house. It is located in New Market, TN. It's needs a little work but the landlords are fabulous and have agreed to let us have 1000 deducted from rent to make improvements on the house. That does not include new windows or paint that we will also be installing. My parents are planning to come up next week to help with repairs. Since dad is a homebuilder, he will install the windows and repair any other big things that need to be done. The house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath brick rancher. It has about 50 acres around it dedicated to cattle. We have about 4 acres that we will fence off for our two horses. There is a small run-in shed close to the house that we can convert into two small stalls. It will be just fine. Steven and I have been driving out every weekend to garden. We have created a small garden with about 7-8 rows. We still have many plants growing in containers at our old house. Here is a list of everything we are currently growing:

Containers:
Sweet Corn
Squash
Iceburg Lettuce
1 tomato plant with about 40 (no kidding) tomatoes on it!
4 strawberry plants
3 blueberry bushes, all different varieties for pollination
1 thornless blackberry vine
1 grape vine
several beefsteak tomato plants that are still very tiny
1 Watermelon plant
1 eggplant
2 pots of trellised peas
Cilantro
2 Oregano plants
Dill
Rosemary
Lavender
Several flowers in pots

At the new house in the garden:
Silver Queen corn
2 varieties of onion
Green Bell Pepper
Jalapeno peppers
Banana peppers, hot and sweet varieties
Cucumbers
Several varieties of beans
a couple of strawberry plants we found growing at the house
Christmas melon - in a raised bed
Cantelope - in a raised bed
Pumpkin
Buttercup squash
Zucchini
Okra
Brocolli
New potatoes - In a potato box
Sweet potatoes

I think that is about it but it is possible I forgot something!

We have also ordered our fall seeds. We are planning to plant many different rare varieties of vegetables which I will list later.

Other things that have been going on:

I've received a promotion at work. I went from being an administrative assistant to the Controller. It is definitely a lot more responsibility but I love it so far. I think my brain works better the more pressure it has to deal with.

So, between packing for the move, getting ready for the renovations to the new house, my new job, and life in general....I have no time to blog. But, I will try to upload some pictures of our harvest so far....It's not much but we're so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment