Monday, March 30, 2009

Burning Pooo!

The weather was crappy all weekend which really blew since Steven and I really wanted to go fishing in the Smokies. Instead, we did some gardening (in pots) and some work at the barn. We have been filling the manure spreader when we pick stalls during the week. We haven't been able to spread it in a little while because of the weather so once it was full, I placed it in the shavings area and waited for a dry day. One day after we finished the evening feeding, I noticed some steam coming from the manure spreader. I thought to myself, "That's weird...but I'm sure it's just doing that because of the weather." Thankfully, I was curious enough to walk over and take a closer look. To my surprise, it wasn't steam at all but SMOKE! I placed my hand at the top of the pile and it felt very warm! I called Steven over and we began digging around a little only to discover that the manure in the spreader was smoldering! It was extremely warm and smelt AWFUL!! We quickly wheeled it out of the barn and pulled it around ourselves to empty it. (It was still very wet so the lawn tractor wasn't an option) Thank goodness those things were invented so we don't have to do that everyday! Man it was tough.....Once the manure was on the ground, it still smoked a little until the mist in the air drenched it putting it out. Wow, what if I haven't noticed it? Obviously, I don't know much about compost. We've always just dumped in a pile and that's it. I've never had to deal with composting. I just find it really weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment